- RE HEALTH & HAPPINESS: According to Thomas Jefferson, "Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits." Helen Keller tells us that, "Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves." What is Secret of Happiness? - "Something to love, something to do, something to look forward to." (anon.)
- RE HYDROGENATED FAT /TRANS FAT--"The New York City health department urged all city restaurants yesterday to stop serving food containing trans fats, chemically modified ingredients that health officials say significantly increase the risk of heart disease and should not be part of any healthy diet." [New York Times August 11, 2005] Read the ingredients of all your food products. Better yet don't eat processed food.
- RE MICROWAVE COOKING: "Two researchers, Blanc and Hertel, confirmed that microwave cooking significantly changes food nutrients. Hertel previously worked as a food scientist for several years with one of the major Swiss food companies. He was fired from his job for questioning procedures in processing food because they denatured it. He got together with Blanc of the Swiss Federal Institute of Biochemistry and the University Institute for Biochemistry." Studies in the former USSR lead to the banning of the use of microwave ovens because of their negatitive effects on health. http://www.relfe.com/microwave.html
- RE VITAMINS & other supplements: --many people are depleted in vitamins, minerals, and nutrients, so supplementation can be a wise thing...missing even a single trace mineral can compromise our health. Best sources for supplements are sprouted seeds (esp. sunflower), nutritional yeast, kelp, chlorella, and spirulina - see http://www.chlorellafactor.com/. Best to eat lots of fresh, raw, organically grown foods. The Mediterranean diet is arguably one of the best known diets--proven better than the American Heart Association diet.
- RE EXERCISE: "Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very fast." Thomas. Jefferson. Best to exercise 40 minutes every day. Alternate weight training with aerobic excersise --allow 24 hours for muscles to rebuild)
- RE CANCER & other diseases: see Budwig's diet.http://www.cancure.org/budwig_diet.htm - basically a healthy diet plus cottage cheese and fresh ground flax seed.
- RE MENTAL HEALTH: "B" vitamins especially B-6 & B-12 are especially important for good mental health. Mentally ill people frequently lack these vitamins and autopsies on suicide victims reveal they are severely reveal deficient in magnesium. The body requires "B" vitamins to metabolize sugar, so if you drink alcoholic beverages or eat a lot of sweets you'll need more B vitamins than if you didn't drink alcohol or eat a lot of sugar. This information is worth researching.
My Mom Says:
- Bring a small flashlight with you to the movie theater so you can see where you are stepping and avoid a fall.
- Don't drive after having your eyes dilated...you can misjudge distances and possibly cause an accident.